Saturday, May 15, 2010

Renaissance man?

So, some of you may be aware but for those who are not, I have taken leave from full time teaching (after 2 years) to pursue the art of cabinetry. I know what some of you are thinking. What the f*&^* are you doing? (sorry mum and dad) Full time job, health care, pension, paid vacations, rewarding career, role model, making a difference, etc, etc... All true but what kind of man are you if you can't work your wood! Here's a peak at my latest solid wood creations.
Red Oak, Arts and Crafts, Nesting tables, 11" x 24"x 24"

Check out those slats!

Red Oak, Shaker, Leg and Rail, 24"x 36" 24"
Cherry, Ash & Red Oak, Top
Tapered legs where done on table saw with a jig.
Check out that joinery!
Haunch Mortise and Tenon.


And my favourite!
Look at that figure. I believe it's referred to as burl figure.

Ultimately, my plan is not to abandon teaching. Instead, I would like to add woodworking as a teachable, convince some visionary, like me, woodworking (shop) along with other trades belong in public high schools in Montreal and create a program that offers kids a more rounded education.

7 comments:

  1. nice work andy!
    strangely enough you and april were in one of my dreams last night. april was asking me if i'm going to move back to vancouver or montreal. i was discussing the pros and cons of each blah blah and then you proceeded to tell me not to take the easy way out, in a few more words. well i think you're practicing what you're preaching (in my dreams) and not taking the easy way out, sticking with the pension and benefits etc and instead are doing what makes you happy. mr. baxter would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done andy. Cheers to that, I am very impressed with your work. Provin that real iz realz

    love you andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. You taking orders yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Andy - thats very cool. The kids will miss you in the short term but will be excited when you come back to teach them your new craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. andy those are awesome. you have made so much progress. they look so experienced. such nice creations. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project. I look forward to smoothing the grain in person.

    ReplyDelete